Sunday, July 1, 2012

The smoke is in the meat...

Today I fired up the smoker for the second time on my journey to greatness... or at least a step in learning the art of awesome food.  I picked up a pork shoulder roast and some pork country style ribs cut from the shoulder.  I prefer country style ribs cut from the shoulder.  They are meatier and have less gristle than the loin end country style ribs, but both cuts are delicious.  If you are interested, many places do not cut country style ribs this way.  But you could request from a butcher 1 inch thick cut pork steaks and then cut the pork steaks into 2 pieces.  (The pork steaks are the same thing.)

I applied my rub from before to the meat and put in the fridge overnight.

I fired up the smoker to attain 205F and added the country style ribs and pork shoulder roast.

I pulled the ribs after about 3.5 hours and we munched on those.  They turned out well.
I took the roast off after about 5.5 hours.  It was tender and delicious!  I sliced 1/2 of it and chopped the other 1/2.


Overall, I was pleased with today's results.  I was hoping to have the roast "shred" more than chop it, but it was still delicious.

Things I learned:
1.  Mix up my sauce in advance, or at least sometime during cooking.  I ate sandwiches without sauce, but it was still good.
2.  Make sure to line up guinea pigs to sample my meat so as to not have so much left over.

3 comments:

  1. I volunteer as guinea pig....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true smoker would feel the roast with his hand to feel the textuure of the meat before trying to pull it. Don't you watch BBQ Pitmasters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In order to get a better pulled pork from your pork butt you need more time (at least 10hrs. I like 12 or so), but there are a couple ways you can get a better pulled pork in less time.

    1.) Hit it with a ton of smoke right away at least 2hrs.(I'd go 3), then finish it in a roasting pan with a lid and a little liquid in a 275degF oven (probably another 3hrs. you'll have to test it)

    2.) You can smoke it for as long as you did, then wrap it in tin foil for the last 3hrs. or so (I use foil pans). The steam and excess liquid braises the meat and helps break down the connective tissue and collagen in the meat.

    I'm not a huge fan of rubbing anything I put on the smoker for more than an hour or so before I smoke it. Many rubs have salt in them, and can draw too much moisture out of the meat. Pulling some liquid to the surface is fine, but you don't want to end up with excess liquid in the bottom of the pan. In addition smoke will adhere better to dry meat, rather than a wet surface.

    Time is the #1 component to good barbecue. Hope this helps, and good luck!

    Joe
    www.grillingaddiction.com

    ReplyDelete