Monday, July 16, 2012

Iowa, not just for corn anymore

My lovely wife and I were on vacation the last week or so, that is why I have been lacking for posts, but I will catch up this week.

We had enough hotel reward points for some free nights so we decided to go to Des Moines, IA, for a couple of days.  My wife attends a conference there for work once a year and she always raves about the scallops at a restaurant.....she was right to rave.

The restaurant she raved about is Ohana's Steak House in West Des Moines.  According to their website, Ohana is Hawaiian for "family."  The style of cooking is Japanese Teppanyaki, many people would call it hibachi style- the chef comes and cooks the food in front of you at a large grill, surrounded by approximately 10 seats.   
My wife and I shared the Tuesday night special of chicken and steak and added an order of their house specialty scallops.  The side dishes we enjoyed were the included soup, salad, shrimp, zucchini with onions, fried rice, and noodles.  We enjoyed our chef, Ken.  He put on an entertaining "show" while cooking.  I was the only one at the table who caught a couple of his jokes, but everyone at the table had a terrific experience.  Our table mates were locals that frequent Ohana's and suggested we try the spicy seasoning on the vegetables.  That was a good choice.

Ohana's Steak House was great! My only regret is we should have ordered more of the scallops. They were DELICIOUS! They have a creamy sweet and savory sauce they use on the scallops. I think I would eat an old shoe if it had that sauce on it.

I will definitely try to get to Ohana's again.






No comments:

Post a Comment